Licence FAQs

Got a question about sitting your Driver’s Licence test? Take a look at our Frequently Asked Questions below.
If you still need help, drop us a line.

What happens if I need to change or cancel my test?

If you can’t make your test and need to cancel or change your time you can go online to change most test bookings, (you will need your drivers licence number). Alternatively you can go into your local VTNZ licensing branch or contact NZTA on 0800 822 422.

Another test fee is payable if you change or cancel your test appointment within two working days of the test date. (The two working day period excludes weekends, public holidays, the day of the test and the day you make the change).

Under what circumstances can I carry passengers on my restricted licence without a supervisor?

When you are on your Restricted Licence, the only passengers you can carry without a supervisor are:

  • your spouse or partner (partner means a civil union partner or de facto partner)
  • your parent or guardian
  • a child who lives with you and is under the care of you or your spouse or partner, eg you or your spouse are their parent or guardian
  • a relative who lives with you and who receives a social security benefit, eg the domestic purposes, invalid’s, sickness, unemployment or widow’s benefits
  • someone you look after as their primary caregiver.

When do I need to provide a medical certificate?

You need to produce a medical certificate completed by your medical practitioner if:

  • You’re turning 75, 80 or an even-numbered age older than 80
  • You’re applying for or renewing a Class 2, 3, 4 or 5 licence and haven’t presented a medical certificate in the last five years*
  • You’re applying for or renewing a P, V, I or O endorsement and haven’t presented a medical certificate in the last five years
  • You have, or have had in the last five years, a medical condition that could adversely affect your ability to drive. The types of medical condition that may require a medical certificate include:
    • Diabetes
    • Visual disturbances such as (double vision) or cataracts
    • Alzheimer’s
    • Seizures, fits, convulsions and/or epilepsy
    • Serious injuries such as head or spinal injuries
    • High blood pressure
    • Amputations
    • Mental illness or nervous disorders
    • Locomotive joint or limb problems
    • Stroke
    • Cerebral vascular accidents/disease
    • Cognitive impairment
    • Any other condition that may affect your ability to drive safely

*When renewing a commercial licence, you need to provide a medical certificate when you renew your licence classes. A medical certificate may not be required if one has been supplied to the NZ Transport Agency within the past five years, and any medical condition has not worsened, or any new condition been diagnosed.

The requirement to provide a medical certificate when you renew a commercial licence is a road safety measure that recognises the accident risks associated with driving for extended periods of time and/or driving heavy vehicles. It also recognises that the public have a right to expect that drivers to whom they entrust their safety (e.g. taxi drivers) are proven to be medically fit.

What are the medical certificate requirements?

  • It must be completed by a New Zealand registered medical practitioner. The medical practitioner can be your usual doctor (GP) or, if applicable, a specialist or occupational therapist.
  • It must not be more than 60 days old.
  • The medical certificate must state that you’re fit to drive safely or indicate conditions that will enable you to drive safely.

How do I update my address details?

You can update your address details online with the NZ Transport Agency. This will update your driver licence details and motor vehicle details.

Alternatively, you can call them on 0800 822 422.

What are the current acceptable forms of identification?

You are required to take one of the following forms of personal identification:

  • A New Zealand photographic driver licence that is current or has expired within the last two years; or
  • A current New Zealand passport.

If you have either of the above, you don’t need any of the following documents. If you don’t, you will need to provide two acceptable forms of proof of identity – one from the list of primary documents and one from the list of supporting documents.

Primary documents accepted

  • A New Zealand passport that has been expired for up to two years
  • An overseas passport that is current or expired within the last two years
  • A full birth certificate issued in New Zealand, issued on or after 1 January 1998, carrying a unique ID number
  • A New Zealand photo firearms licence that is current or has expired within the last two years
  • A New Zealand emergency travel document
  • One of the following certificates issued under the Citizenship Act 1977:
    – Certificate of NZ Citizenship
    – A current certificate of identity issued under the Passports Act 1992
    – A current refugee travel document issued by or on behalf of the NZ Government
    – A current certificate of identity issued under the Immigration Act 1987

Supporting documents accepted – must be current

  • New Zealand 18+ card
  • New Zealand Community Services card
  • New Zealand SuperGold or Veteran SuperGold card
  • New Zealand student photo ID card
  • New Zealand employee photo ID card
  • New Zealand utility bill (e.g. power, phone or rates) or a bank statement issued within the last six months. Your bill or statement is acceptable in electronic form or as a print out
  • New Zealand Electoral Roll record
  • Overseas driver licence
  • New Zealand Steps to Freedom form (issued by the Department of Corrections)
  • Your Inland Revenue number

If neither of the primary or supporting documents is photographic, you must also provide a referee-verified image. It must be a good likeness of you and of an equal standard to one required for a passport application.

An acceptable identity referee is someone who meets all of the following requirements:

  • Holds a valid and current New Zealand passport or driver licence
  • Is 16 years or older
  • Has known you for one year or more
  • Is not related to you or part of your extended family
  • Is not a spouse or partner
  • Doesn’t live at the same address as you

The identity referee needs to complete a declaration form and provide their New Zealand driver licence or passport number, full name, date of birth, contact details, and the full name and date of birth of the applicant. They also need to sign and date the back of the photo.

The identity referee must complete and print this NZ Transport Agency Identity Referee Declaration form. Present the form and photo with your other documents.

What if my name has changed from what is on my identification documents?

If the name you want on your Driver Licence is different from the name on your identification documents, you’ll need to take one of the following original documents into the branch with you:

  • Your marriage or civil union certificate
  • A dissolution of marriage or civil union order that says that the dissolution is ‘decree absolute’ (that is,final)
  • A New Zealand certificate of annulment
  • An original document from Births, Deaths and Marriages confirming that your name has been legally changed
  • A deed poll certificate of change of name
  • A New Zealand statutory declaration confirming change of name, which has been registered with the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages
  • Other suitable identification (such as adoption papers).

What are the requirements for my support person if I choose to take one?

If you feel that it will help, you are allowed to bring a support person with you to your Restricted and Full Licence tests. The support person must:

  • Be over 20 years of age
  • Give their name and contact details to the officer before the test
  • Not talk or distract you or the officer in any way during the test
  • Not interrupt or distract you or the officer when they are giving you feedback after your test
  • Not be under the influence of alcohol or drugs

Where can I go if I would like to give feedback?

If you would like to make an inquiry about your test or the testing process, please fill out our complaints form and select Driver Testing Complaint from the drop down box.

Visit one of our 80+ branches nationwide

We'll have you road ready in no time.