Full Licence Full Licence

Full Licence

Once you have your Learner Licence for heavy vehicles, you can start preparing to get your Full Licence. Take a look at what you need to do to get your Full Licence.

What you need to know about getting your Full Heavy Vehicle Licence

  • You need a full class 2, 3, 4 or 5 licence to drive heavy vehicles on your own.
  • You must have either:
    • held a Learner Licence for at least six months, and then passed a practical test, or
    • completed an approved course for that class – then you don’t have to hold the learner licence for a minimum period.
  • You need to wait 6 months before you can move onto the next class of driver licence, or at least 3 months if you are 25 or over.

Find out more about the conditions of a Full Heavy Vehicle Licence at nzta.govt.nz

You have two options for getting your Full Heavy Vehicle Licence

  • Option 1: Complete an approved training course for your class. You can take the course any time after you gain your Learner Licence. Find a course provider here.
    When you’ve completed the course, you can bring your course certificate into one of our Driver Licensing branches and apply for a Full Licence. You won’t need to sit a practical test.
  • Option 2: Practise driving under supervision for at least 6 months before applying for a Full Licence and sitting a practical test in a vehicle covered by that class

With option 2, there are three steps involved in getting your Full Licence:

1. Practise for your test

When practising driving for your Heavy Vehicle Licence, remember that you are still learning. This is particularly important to keep in mind when you are driving in high risk conditions.

You must be accompanied by a supervisor at all times when you are practising.

A supervisor is a person who:

  • Holds a current full New Zealand driver licence for the class of vehicle you are learning to drive
  • Has held their full New Zealand driver licence for at least two years (or where their full New Zealand licence has been held less than two years, they have held an equivalent overseas driver licence for at least two years)
  • Does not have a supervisor condition on their New Zealand licence
2. Complete your application

When you feel confident, you’ll be ready to complete your application and book your test. Come in to one of our Driver Licensing branches and our team will help you complete your application.

You can book your test:

When you apply at one of our branches, you need to:

  • Fill out the application form (if you haven’t already)
  • Complete an eyesight screening check or present your eyesight certificate
  • Have your photo taken and sign for your licence
  • Book a time to do your practical test (if you haven’t done so before)
  • Pay for your test (if you haven’t done so before) – see current licence fees

What to bring in with you:

  • Your photographic Learner Licence for the class you’re applying for. If you’re using a temporary licence then you need to bring in your Full Car Licence or your current New Zealand passport
  • medical certificate (if required)
  • a filled out application form  – you can do this ahead of time here
  • Any prescription glasses or contact lenses you currently wear
3. Sitting your test

The practical test for your Full Licence should take around half an hour, which includes observation of your driving and feedback at the end.

Re-sitting your test

Don’t worry if you don’t pass on the first go – you can always try again. Your testing officer will explain why you weren’t successful and what you should work on before re-sitting your practical driving test. You will still be able to practise on your Learner Licence.

When you’re ready to re-sit your test you will need to make another booking and pay the additional test fee.

What happens when I pass?

Be proud of yourself! It’s the testing officer’s favourite part of the day to say “you passed!” and to hand you your temporary licence. Your photographic licence will be posted in the mail.

Getting your Full Licence enables you to drive the relevant vehicles of your class on your own.

Extra licensing requirements for some activities

As well as your Full Licence in that class, you must have a licence endorsement if you drive:

  • In a passenger service
  • In a vehicle recovery service
  • A special type of vehicle
  • A vehicle which you use to transport hazardous or dangerous goods

Any further questions:

  1. Check our frequently asked questions
  2. Visit the NZ Transport Agency or call their Driver Helpline on 0800 822 422.

Visit one of our 80+ branches nationwide

We'll have you road ready in no time.